Our infrastructure work boosts the capacity and capability of our clients.
Drawing on the knowledge and insights gained from projects, we work with central government departments, national agencies and local authorities to develop specialist support for a wider range of infrastructure programmes including highways maintenance, flood management and superfast broadband.
In 2019 – 20 we helped our clients achieve:
Working across sectors such as highways and transport, flood risk protection and 5G implementation, we helped our clients deliver the infrastructure to help unlock housing development, foster economic growth and contribute to the development of high quality, sustainable places.
We undertook a peer review of the procurement of a new highways’ services contract for Surrey County Council. We assessed whether the key objectives set out in the contract were likely to be met and recommended actions the authority could take to help achieve them. We assessed the key procurement risks and advised how they could be managed by the Council. As a result of our work, the Council was able to proceed in its procurement with confidence that its assumptions were correct and the outcomes it required were likely to be achieved.
We supported Cardiff City Region develop its business case and assessment process for its Wider Investment Fund. This £495m city deal is designed to improve economic outcomes in the region whilst leveraging public support with private sector investment. We provided an impartial evaluation of some high-risk business cases. This gave Cardiff City Region confidence that the overall project development process was robust and would also satisfy the requirements of its funding partners.
The UK government is committed to achieving 100% gigabit capability by 2025. The West Midlands was selected to become the innovative home to the UK’s first multi-city 5G test bed. This is expected to pave the way for the future rollout of 5G across the UK, making the region the first in the UK ready to trial new 5G applications and services at scale.
We supported West Midlands 5G Ltd. (WM5G) develop its final business case for the 5G Application Accelerator Project. The West Midlands Combined Authority applied to the DCMS for a grant to provide infrastructure to test and develop business solutions using this new technology. We supported WM5G develop business cases that led to a final business case that resulted in WM5G successfully being awarded funding of £7m.
In the spring 2020 Budget, the commitment to get gigabit-capable broadband into the hardest-to-reach places was reiterated. Having supported DCMS’ Local Full Fibre Networks programme, we were commissioned to support the Superfast Broadband and “Outside-In” programme. This programme has been designed to ensure that gigabit-capable connectivity across all areas of the UK is achieved at the same time. Its focus is on the 10%-20% of premises where gigabit capability is not commercially viable.
For more information about what we have helped our clients achieve, see our 2019-20 impact report.
Eric Robinson, Chief Executive, Wirral Council
Peter Woodward, Capital Programmes and Property, Manchester City Council
- Our Impact 2019-20
- Our Impact 2018-19To celebrate our tenth birthday we have launched our 2018-19 impact report, celebrating the successes we have achieved over the…
- Our Impact 2017-18In 2018 we produced our first impact report and we made a commitment to produce one every year. Our impact…
- Planning to succeedThe work that our Infrastructure and Waste teams carry out boosts our clients’ capacity, capability and commercial skills. We act…
- Energy efficient street lighting – reducing energy costs and carbon footprintLocal Partnerships is supporting local authorities to deliver LED street lighting initiatives – successful schemes could deliver up to 80…
- REPORT: Delivering waste efficiencies in the West MidlandsRegional review undertaken by Local Partnerships focusing on efficiencies achieved in waste management in the West Midlands.
- REPORT: Delivering waste efficiencies in the LondonRegional review undertaken by Local Partnerships focusing on efficiencies achieved in waste management in London.
- REPORT: Delivering waste efficiencies in the East of EnglandRegional review undertaken by Local Partnerships focusing on efficiencies achieved in waste management in the East of England.
- REPORT: Delivering waste efficiencies in Yorkshire and the HumberRegional review undertaken by Local Partnerships focusing on efficiencies achieved in waste management in Yorkshire and the Humber.
- REPORT: Delivering waste efficiencies in the North EastRegional review undertaken by Local Partnerships focusing on efficiencies achieved in waste management in the North East.
- REPORT: Delivering waste efficiencies in the North WestRegional review undertaken by Local Partnerships focusing on efficiencies achieved in waste management in the North West.
- REPORT: Delivering waste efficiencies in the East MidlandsRegional review undertaken by Local Partnerships focusing on efficiencies achieved in waste management in the East Midlands.
- CASE STUDY: Contract review – energy managementNewcastle & North Tyneside Street Lighting
- CASE STUDY: Supporting transport and infrastructure projectsWe have recently supported local authorities and delivery partners to progress a range of high value transport projects and keep…